the Tops get levied? Details at 11.
• So how come the first thing Obama gets right in thirteen months is his Super Bowl prediction?
• Seriously, I knew the Colts were in trouble early in the week, when everyone (else) started picking them as a semi-lock. Distinct "Rumsfeld news conference, circa April 2003" vibe.
• My friend Gary:
"Oh, well, at least The Who was great!
Wait. Never mind."
• My Poor Wife: "They should have hired a Who cover band."
• We're grumbling, so if there's any singer anywhere who should absolutely stay in the pocket it's Queen Latifa. But otherwise, let's replace "The Star Spangled Banner" with "America the Beautiful", already. And let's replace American Idol singers with dead air. Th' fuck? I understand why FOX did it in the championship round, but how does CBS wind up with an over-matched country singer?
• Why CBS should not get to broadcast another Super Bowl, even unto the seventh generation:
Katie Couric, to Drew Brees: Did you save New Orleans? Or did New Orleans save you?
• #2 was Lillian Gish:
James Brown: "Dwight Freeney has the most talked about ankle coming into this year's Super Bowl."
• Seriously, we're happy for Nawlins, but the rest of you freeloaders on the Feel-Good Express can go fuck yourselves. Especially the Press which, let us recall, had to be shamed into backing off the Looters! Looters! Looters! coverage, and just consider what it takes to shame the Press. I actually heard somebody say "Don't want a hand-out, just a hand up", which was a great Public Service Announcement tagline in the 70s, but is a wormwood, gall, and broccoli rabe omelette after we managed to bail out GM, Goldman Sachs, and the Bush-Reagan-Friedman Theory of Benign Rapine, and deny even as much health care as the insurance companies would allow to Ward Nines throughout the country, scant weeks ago. Stow the fucking piano music. Katrina was the proximate cause of a disaster built of decades of greed, racism, and a facile Exceptionalism that's supposed to excuse anything and everything the Haves wanna rain down on the Have Nots. It'd be one thing if this was an aberration caused by the Saints turning up on the holiest day of the secular Calendar. But if you're more comfortable retelling the story of Job than reporting facts, maybe you boarded the wrong career bus somewhere.