Wednesday, June 22
If The Networks Are Checking In, I'm Willing To Talk Series
Inspired by Kathy's new place it's...the contents of my kitchen junk drawer, laid out for display because, well, imagine a picture of this in a 1x2 foot box.
• I thought organizing the rubber bands by color would add a nice graphical element, but they're more or less lost.
• I can actually identify every item (larding needle! butter wheel!) except one. The gizmo at the farthest right, which you can't see very well and which looks like a fleur-de-lis on a stick.
• The baggie at upper left holds poultry needles. We keep the dope upstairs.
• The skewers (bottom right) have little animals on top: pig, dog, rooster, kangaroo, lamb, falcon). I love 'em. I've had them for thirty years. And I've never used them once.
• I had no idea I had seven corkscrews. I've never used the French Zig-Zag model to open a bottle, but it's trés cool.
• That's a cold food thermometer stuck in the kitchen twine at top right. Goes from -20 to 140º F. I have no idea why I have one.
• Over by the melon baller is one of those elastic hair things. I think that's my wife's doing.
• The two loose razor blades are from my earlier, Romantic period.
• This is far from my entire collection of miniature batterie de cuisine. In fact the stuff I use regularly, like the real meat thermometer, is in another drawer. And I was surprised there were but two pastry tips and no bags. I think the rest are in a drawer in the basement.