Friday, September 16

Happy 80th Birthday

Riley B. King, born September 16, 1925


harry near indy said...

one of the last of the living legends of the blues.

by the way, doghouse, b.b. king used to play about once a year at beef and boards. did you ever see him play there?

(fyi for you out of towners -- beef and boards is a dinner theater in indianapolis.)

norbizness said...

Man, he got a lot of cosmetic surgery for Lucille over the years.

doghouse riley said...

Nah, I never saw him, Harry. I do remember the days when Beef & Boards was a viable music venue, I just never went.

And I don't know where my wife stashes her old copies of Smithsonian or I might be able tell for sure from the larger picture, but it looks like he's playing a Gibson L-00 from the early 30s with a pickup added below the sound hole. A cheap guitar in those days, but a really good one, though a little delicate for the rigors of the road carried in a cardboard case. Maybe that wsa just his paintin'-on guitar.

harry near indy said...

thanks for the answer, doghouse.