Friday, April 22

Lest We Forget



The fine folks at Southern Heritage Designs would like to remind you that Prom season is almost here. Now is the time to order the formal which will make you the envy of your peculiar particular institution.

Due to the late unpleasantness we are no longer able to ship to Kentucky. It turns out that Kentucky was actually a part of the Union, that three times as many Kentuckians joined the Federal forces as the Confederacy, and that when the beloved Gen'l Albert Sidney Johnston marched on Bowling Green in 1862, expecting throngs of volunteers to flock to the Lost Cause he found instead "much hostility".

Who knew? Evidently not readers of public school history texts. Certainly no reader of Shelby Foote's much-acclaimed Civil War trilogy, which refers to three Kentucky-born Confederate general officers coming to "the defense" of their state, an odd choice of term when it was their side which had invaded, and speaks of the period of Kentucky "neutrality" [quotes in original] as though it were something imposed on the citizens from outside. We apologize for any inconvenience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm. Think it's significant that the model looks rather like Jenna Bush?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this site. Are you a Kentuckian? I grew up down by Bowling Green, and most of the people over there wouldn't have known that the Kentuck was union or neutral. There's more confederate flag action over there than you can shake a stick at. When I was a kid, I remember being surprised that Kentucky was "neutral." I kept hearing the good ol' boys blasting their Dixie truck horns all night long, so I didn't know any better.

If you want to read more about said dress, pop on over to my blog entry called The Right to Bare Arms, in which I describe the court case surrounding the "young woman" who tried to wear this fashion crime to the prom.

James Briggs Stratton "Doghouse" Riley said...

Thank you, Pepper. I'm pure Hoosier corn but my people are from the Bluegrass State and I love it there. Particularly Big South Fork National Park. We used to go camping at Mammoth Cave when I was in college, go canoeing down the Green River and drive to Bowling Green to buy booze and frighten the locals.