Thursday, April 28

Poetry Month

Almost forgot my contribution, which in fact is stolen from Garrison Keillor:

Emily Dickinson's "Because I Could Not Stop for Death" can be sung to:

St. James Infirmary
Marines Hymn
Amazing Grace
Wabash Cannonball
Ghost Riders in the Sky
Yellow Rose of Texas

and Robert Frost's "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening" can be sung to:

Hernando's Hideaway
When the Saints Go Marching In
Sixteen Tons
San Antonio Rose
The Doxology
I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate
Your Cheatin' Heart

My personal favorites are the last ones listed. Try it with your circle of friends!

3 comments:

handdrummer said...

Oh you know not the damage you have just done to the sanity of my audiences. A mad poet, a banjo and a list of song/poem mashups. It doesn't get any better than this.

Unless I can learn Hernado's Hideaway on that blasted accordian I have stashed under my desk. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Ray Bridges said...

Dude, when you're on, you're really on.

Anonymous said...

In fact, every single one of Emily Dickinson's poems can be sung to The Yellow Rose of Texas (and presumably the others in your list).

As to the Frost poem, that is news to me, although most Episcopalians, like myself, have known for years that
The Doxology is best sung to the tune of Hernando's Hideaway!