Wednesday, July 27

Daily Regimen

I don't know why. I was swallowing the first of two handfuls this evening and I decided to list it. Feel free to chime in.

Vitamins: A, B complex, C, E
5-HTP
L-Arginine
Zinc
Calcium & Magnesium
Saw Palmetto
Ginkgo biloba
Lecithin
at least 3c. yogurt containing S. Thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus, L. Acidophilus, and Bifidus, or the equivalent in tablet form
Aspirin

Aside from the yogurt and aspirin I have absolutely no idea if any of this stuff helps, though I'm reasonably convinced the 5-HTP and Ginkgo biloba improve mental functioning. It's impossible to say for sure because my thinking has been muddled since at least 1958. I'm not even sure when some of these were added, and I used to think vitamins were a complete waste of money. But then, I'm not on any prescription medication, a situation which rather astonished 'em at the hospital a couple years ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Count yourself lucky.
I'm taking a *lot* of prescriptions right now, as a result of recent ER visits, decades of migraines, and the re-re-rescheduled, finally accomplished, surgery that was originally scheduled for June.
And, oh, yes, being, uh, crazier than a loon. That's a few bottles' worth, too.

Though at least at the moment, I'm off all the non-prescription stuff, as a precaution. I've taken most of what's on your list, and would agree that the ginkgo and saw palmetto work, at least for me. The calcium and magnesium I take for migraines, no idea if it helps. I take valerian for higher-than-I'd-like blood pressure, and it helps, but probably not as much as having lost forty pounds this year did.

Which is also why I've been taking vitamin supplements, since I diet the old fashioned way, by, uh, not eating enough to keep a snail alive, and it's not exactly nutritious.

I take a lot of stuff that probably doesn't or almost-certainly doesn't or only-an-idiot-would-think-that -would
work, but chronic migraines leave you somewhat desperate, and the last brilliant idea my neurologist has is "Hey, how about a spinal tap?"
Uh... I'll stick with the feverfew a while longer, I think.

Right now absolutely the most useful thing I'm taking is percocet, though it gives me migraines, and if I hadn't just taken two an hour ago, I wouldn't be going on about this. :-)

Anonymous said...

Zantac 150 is the greatest medical technology yet invented on this earth. Especially now that it's available OTC.

Anonymous said...

Carne Asada burrito, Margarita.