Saturday, July 30

"Here's Twenty-five Cents. Call Someone Who Cares. In Fact, Here's Fifty Cents. Call 'Em All." *

MSNBC Shifts Tucker Carlson to Late Night
By DAVID BAUDER AP Television Writer

July 29,2005 | NEW YORK -- MSNBC will shift Tucker Carlson's low-rated talk show out of prime-time in much of the country to 11 p.m. EDT, with ex-Fox News Channel anchor Rita Cosby filling his time slot...

Carlson's was the first new prime-time show developed since Rick Kaplan took over as MSNBC president last year. Kaplan said Friday the switch wasn't a demotion, that he had considered Carlson's program for 11 p.m. all along, but that "it would have been a mess" if he had said that publicly from the beginning....

"I couldn't be more psyched," said Carlson, who said he had unsuccessfully pushed CNN for an 11 p.m. show when he worked there.


Comments: 1) Tucker Carlson is the fucking Mir Space Station of television personalities. How is it that the only people who don't understand that are programming executives? 2) Why would anybody even bother to quote him? 3) Okay, I'm just outside that desirable 18-49 demo, but you aren't getting that or anybody else to watch. How can it be that with three 24 hour news channels that aren't FAUX there's not a single talk show I want to watch, and in fact there's only one--Olbermann's--that I can watch, and it's 90% crap.

* I wish I could remember whose joke that is.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You, sir, are a sparkling star in the heavens of insight.
I have a number of errands to run tomorrow, and when people ask me why I'm snickering, I will be forced to explain the thing about the Mir Space Station and Tucker Carlson.

It's not going to make me any friends, I don't think. Everyone I know is still stuck on "Tucker Who? Who names a kid Tucker?"
Beats me.

Anonymous said...

Boy, when Tucker goes head to head against The Daily Show, MSNBC is going to be paying an awful lot of money for a 5 digit number of viewers. That must be a great demographic. Or the work of an idiot programming executive.

Anonymous said...

It's actually not that lame an idea. I mean, could there possibly be an audience *less* interested in watching Tucker than the Daily Show's?
If they put him up against, say, Bow Tie Fashions on QVC, they'd have a problem. But as it is, The Daily Show and actual news programming. I don't see a conflict, honestly.

Jaye Ramsey Sutter said...

You know the type, they sit in front of the television and say, "Shit, I could do better than that guy." Usually, they are wearing an undershirt and they have spilt their dinner on it.

This time, that guy in the worn out lazy boy recliner is right. He and almost all of the community college students I have ever taught are smarter and more entertaining that Tucker Carlson.

Jaye Ramsey Sutter said...

Perhaps he is even the superconducting supercollider of television talking heads.

Anonymous said...

Olberman is 90% crap? It's the only news show I watch. Damn, there go my librul credentials.

eRobin said...

He couldn't be more psyched.

WebGuy said...

What they really should do is combine Carlson's show with a new version of The Gong Show. Put three judges up. Get various politicos on the show, and let them talk. At some point, let the judges gong em, and they can be covered with green jello or octopus ink or whatever. Now that's a show that would get ratings.